This salon took place April 14, 2017 in San Francisco at The Laundry art gallery. Bloom Bay Area was a media sponsor, providing promotion and this audio recording. Organized by Dr. Molly Maloof.
Turn off your phones. Tune out the media. Drop into an evening of intellectual discussion with your community on two current topics of fascination: Cults and Counterculture.
There are many questions to ask oneself during these unstable times and uncertain political climate.
- What are cults? Burning Man? Anusara? Landmark? Heaven's Gate? Hasidism? Are corporations cults? Is medicine a cult?
- What is cult formation 101?
- When is a cult a good thing (the "joy of sects!")?
- When is it a very bad thing?
- Am I susceptible to cults?
- How does the psychology of mind control work?
- How does cult deprogramming work?
- What does an anti-cult look like?
- Where is the line between cult and culture?
- What is post-modern counter culture (drug culture, music culture, sex culture, festival culture, science culture, spiritual culture... etc.)?
- What does the current system of power look like? Is it invisible to us residing in finance, in all sorts of new kinds of management, and within computers and the media, which involves invisible algorithms that shape and manage what information we receive?
- If filter bubbles and the echo chamber effect of social media psychologically influencing the masses, where do “they” end and “we” begin?
- Are science, technology, media, and even many new age movements, themselves cults too, disguised as proposed solutions?
- How do we create a truly conscious counterculture rather than philosophical naval gazing micromovements internally focused on othering?
- How do we transcend culture and counter-culture as free people? Should we?
- How do we create a sustainable and regenerative counter-culture?
- A neatly packaged belief system ready for adoption by all of our supporters (kidding).
- Tools for engaging in critical dialog around these topics.
- Suggestions for things people can get involved in that are grounded in positive, practical action.